Guild members have always been generous in turning their talents to charitable causes. Contributions of Cuddle Quilts, Preemie Quilts, Bravery Bead bags and for the IWK Pillow Project are welcome.
Cuddle Quilt Guidelines:
Donations of Cuddle Quilts are welcome throughout the year. However, each spring, the Guild hosts Cuddle Quilt Day to bring together Guild members and the community to prepare quilts for donation. Mark your calendar for March 18, 2023! Click here for more information on Cuddle Quilt Day and to get some ideas for charity quilts.
Guidelines for Preemie Quilts for the IWK NICU:
- Preemie quilts should be approx. 24 – 36 inches square or rectangle
- They can be appliquéd or pieced by hand or machine in any pattern of your choice.
- Fabrics should be prewashed 100% cotton — do not use fabric with glitter or harsh metallic threads.
- Backing can be prewashed flannel or cotton.
- Preferred batting is cotton or flannel.
- Use 100% cotton thread. Do not use any monofilament or metallic thread as it is too harsh for the fragile skin of the preemie babies. Also do NOT tie the quilts.
- Quilting can be done by hand or machine, but PLEASE put enough stitching on the quilt to hold it securely together. Use at least 1/4 inch seam allowances so the patchwork is going to stay together.
- Unfortunately we can’t accept “Rag Quilts” as they can have a lot of lint which could affect the babies breathing.
Remember — These quilts do not have to be elaborate. A simple nine patch, or four patch quilt can be lovely!
IWK Pillowcase Project – Instructions:
There is an ongoing call for pillowcases for patients at the IWK. Here are the Guidelines.
Bravery Bead bags – Instructions:
Patients at the IWK Children’s Hospital receive beads representing treatments and milestones throughout their illness. Over 200 bags have been donated by N.S. quilters to date. The pattern is easy to follow and arrangements will be made to gather new donations in the coming months.
If you have any questions, please contact email@example.com